Monday, March 24, 2014

Bulk Up!

I have recently discovered the "bulk" section at grocery stores. I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize how great they are. Buying in bulk allows you to only get as much of a product as you need, and you only pay per pound. I love this way of shopping because often times I don't need a fifteen dollar bag of quinoa for just myself, instead I can use the bulk section and only get a cup for a dollar or two. This way of shopping is very practical because you're not wasting your money on the packaging, or brand name, instead you're only buying the product.

Buying spices in bulk is also great, because if you only need a couple of tablespoons of an expensive spice or herb, you don't have to pay for an entire bottle.

My favorite things to buy in bulk are nuts, seeds, grains, and dried fruit. Mostly because I know if I get an entire box of dried fruit, I'll eat it all in one sitting. So by buying only a serving, I not only save money, but I keep myself from eating an entire box.

Buying in bulk may be confusing, so here's some easy steps to walk you through it!

First, find a grocery store that sells items in bulk, I like Earth Fare, Bare Essentials, Ingles, and Whole Foods.





Then, pick out what you want to buy..



Get a bag, and fill it up with however much you want (you can weigh it to see if you have as much as you'd like)..

Get a sticker, and write the PLU number that is on the item's bin..



Stick the sticker to your bag, and that's it! Super simple!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment