Monday, February 17, 2014

Almond Milk

Recently, I've been making my own almond milk. After realizing how easy it was, and how much more natural it is, I am hooked. Most store bought almond milk contains thickeners, like lecithin and carrageenan (made from seaweed, that can lead to digestion problems) both are unnecessary additives. So by making my own, I get to control the ingredients, which makes me feel better about what is going into my body.

Now onto the almond milk process....it usually takes about ten minutes altogether, not including the time the almonds take to soak (overnight). So this is really easy to do in the morning before making breakfast.

First...
Soak natural (organic if you'd like) almonds in filtered water overnight, or for at least twelve hours.
Second...
Pour the almonds into a blender and add four cups of water for every one cup of almonds. I like to use the water that the almonds soaked in as part of my four cups of water. 


Third...
Add-in whatever you would like! I put a couple teaspoons of Stevia, but you could put in a few dates, or cinnamon. 

Fourth...
Blend in a blender for about a minute, or until it looks milky and combined.


Fifth...
Set up a strainer over a bowl with a towel inside to strain your milk.


Sixth...
Pour the mixture into the strainer and use a spatula or spoon to stir it around to help the liquid separate from the almond grounds.

Seventh...
Gather the towel and squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can.

Eighth...
Pour into a glass container and enjoy! Make sure to keep it in the refrigerator, and it usually lasts about a week and a half. 


And that is all! Super simple, and easy to make!



No comments:

Post a Comment